1 Nov 2013

The Ship of Fools I


.
 The Ship of Fools I
The Museum of Instant Images
cat.nr.2424  d.d.06.08.13

electronic / poem
Mr. Colori / C. Gijsen - Netherlands
.
contribution to: Visions of Bosch - Netherlands
 --click picture to enlarge--
________________________________________
Het Narrenschip

I

Het narrenschip voer uit en ik zat erop
Naast de non en de gek, bankier en pooier,
Blies ik op de hoorn des overvloeds, mooier
Dan dat werd het niet, ik boog mijn dikke kop

Om dan nog meer te zuipen en te vreten
Lachend om de armen, hun holle blikken,
Gekscherend met de dieven, die nooit wikken
Over goed en kwaad, alleen pasgeld eten

Het narrenschip voer uit, ik stond op de wal
Zag de schransende meute zingend schuimen
Op de ziedende zee, een slang en een kwal

In het zog van de onheilsboot, de fluimen
Van walgende wijzen hangend in de mast
En ik hoopte: ik ben niemand meer tot last

C. Gijsen
________________________________________
The Ship of Fools

I

The ship of fools left port and I was on it.
Beside the nun, fool, banker and pimp I could
blow the horn of plenty. All this was as good
as it got, I bowed my swollen head a bit

to freely stuff myself and booze even more,
ridiculing the poor, their hollow glances,
poking fun at the thieves, who take no chances
with right or wrong, eating coins all they look for.

The ship of fools left port, I was on the quay
to see the voracious singing binging cast
on the seething seas, jellyfish and snakes

in the wake of the vessel of doom, and flakes
of phlegm from disgusted sages up the mast,
and hoping no one would be bothered by me.
translation: Erik Honders
________________________________________